Wednesday, February 20, 2013

RTI- Creating 3D Solids

So, we took a quiz last week in my homeroom so I could see where my kids were at with 3D solids and identifying the faces, edges, and vertices. Well.......we have had better scores :) But, there is always room for growth! So this week in RTI, we have been focusing on identifying 3D solids and the number of faces, edges, and vertices. I was struggling with an idea on how to get them to really wrap their brains around this concept...until I remembered what I used to do when I was younger. I used to make buildings out of toothpicks and marshmallows. Before we began, I showed them a cube I had already made. I asked them what the marshmallows represented (the vertices) and what the toothpicks represented (the edges). They knew what it was!! And they were able to tell me how many faces, vertices, and edges. I was thinking in my head, WE GOT THIS!!!

So I gave them a list of 3D solids to create and their materials--toothpicks and marshmallows. They did AWESOME!! They were able to count the vertices and edges and even the faces (even though those were a little hard to identify today). After we did our exploration, we discussed everything and I felt like the light bulb went off today!!! Yay!!!

A student counting the vertices (marshmallows)
Micah recording the data down.

Pentagonal prism
Square pyramid made by Lucky :)

Rafael starting his hexagonal prism
Some of our finished 3D solids and a recording sheet


No comments:

Post a Comment